It's because of fear. Fear of imperfection, in fact. When I go evangelize, so often I try to evangelize. No, that wasn't a typo. Because when I try, I try to use my own words and my own knowledge. If an atheist is confronting me on an issue that he has with God, my natural reaction is to talk over him, practically yelling the truth at him, instead of showing him the way and letting God do the work. I know that I've said it before, but you can't share the good news without God speaking through you just as much as a spade can't dig without someone pushing it into the ground. Not perfectly, anyways. Surely perfection is the goal, as anything else could potentially have lies in it.
Just to clarify, I do understand and have witnessed God use any number of things to spread his word. Surely He can use anything and everything to grow His kingdom, including evangelists who don't have the right mindset. Is it any harder to dig if the spade doesn't want to or is trying to go a different way? Nope. Because, just like us, that spade can't do anything on its own.
Surely we should try to honor God through evangelism by saying, 'Not my words, but yours be said.' just as much as we should say, 'Not my will but yours be done.'. That is my prayer for not only myself, but for every other evangelist and, for that sake, every other follower of Christ.
Through the next few months, I'd like to continue making posts more aimed towards the Christian lifestyle, instead of only about evangelism. They may be convicting, challenging, and, who knows, I might even get mean, but the truth cannot be suppressed, and I sure hope that you won't catch me trying.
-The Micromanaged Freewill
~Jacob
No comments:
Post a Comment